What is Line Haul Transportation and How It is Driving Efficiency
May 4, 2023
5 mins read
The logistics industry relies on the efficient transportation of goods between locations and line haul transportation plays a significant role in this. In 2021, in the United States alone, the total transportation logistics costs came to around 1.2 trillion U.S. dollars and the global line haul truck market revenue is expected to grow at 6.1% from 2019 to 2027. This blog will familiarize readers with line haul transportation by introducing the critical components such as line haul trucking and carrier tracking, and also give a brief insight into line haul optimization and last-mile delivery optimization.
What is line haul transportation?
Line haul transportation involves the movement of goods—as varied as raw materials, components, or finished products—between distribution centers, warehouses, or other major transportation hubs. Unlike local deliveries or regional transportation, the scope of line haul transportation is greater as it deals with high-volume freight carried over greater distances.
With longer distances, larger loads, scheduled runs, dedicated equipment, and freight tracking being key features of line haul transportation, it can benefit businesses by being a more cost-effective, efficient, fast, and flexible way of transporting goods.
The advantages of line haul trucking
The advantages of line haul trucking are numerous, making it an appealing option for businesses across various industries. By utilizing tractor-trailers or trucks for land transportation, line haul trucking offers several benefits:
1. Efficiency and cost-effectiveness: Line haul trucking is considered a more efficient and cost-effective mode of transportation than other options such as seaways, airways, or rail. Businesses can streamline their supply chains and reduce transportation costs by using dedicated trucking routes. Additionally, trucking allows for direct delivery from point A to point B without transshipment or intermediate handling, further improving efficiency.
2. Flexibility in scheduling: Line haul trucking provides businesses with greater flexibility in terms of scheduling. Unlike other modes of transportation that fixed timetables may bind, trucking allows for customized schedules based on specific business requirements. This flexibility enables businesses to manage logistics operations better and respond to market demands or unexpected events.
3. Real-time tracking: One significant advantage of line haul trucking is tracking shipments in real-time. With advanced technology and telematics systems, businesses can monitor their shipments’ location, status, and estimated arrival time. Real-time tracking improves supply chain visibility, enables better inventory management, and allows for proactive decision-making in case of delays or disruptions.
4. Route customization: Line haul trucking allows customized routes based on specific business needs. This enables businesses to optimize transportation routes, considering traffic patterns, road conditions, and customer locations. Businesses can reduce transit times, minimize fuel consumption, and improve overall operational efficiency by tailoring routes.
5. Specialized requirements: Line haul trucking can accommodate business-specific requirements, such as temperature-controlled transportation for perishable goods. For industries like food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, or chemicals, where maintaining specific temperature conditions is crucial, trucking provides the necessary infrastructure and equipment to ensure the integrity and quality of sensitive products throughout the transportation process.
The importance of line haul carrier tracking
As freight moves from one location to another, it can be tracked in real-time using Global Positioning System (GPS) or Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID). This is called line haul carrier tracking and it plays an essential role in supply chain management as the location and status of shipments are used to ensure timely deliveries to accurate destinations.
Carrier tracking can prove challenging due to the long distances and multiple carriers involved. Delays due to traffic, weather, breakdowns, or route changes can put the entire system off-track. However, technology enables tracking the location and status of carriers in real-time, making the transportation process highly efficient as issues can be resolved and adjustments made as they arise. GPS tracking devices, automated notification systems, electronic data interchange systems, and data analytics tools all make line haul carrier tracking smooth sailing.
Line haul optimization: Making the most of your transportation network
Line haul optimization is the process of maximizing the efficiency of line haul transportation in service of overall supply chain efficiency. It is achieved by analyzing factors such as distance, delivery time, freight volume and carrier capacity to determine the most cost-effective and time-efficient ways of transportation. Sophisticated technologies and software are used to achieve optimization through various techniques such as:
- Route optimization: Identifying the shortest and most optimal routes minimizes empty miles, reducing fuel costs and the carbon footprint. Route optimization plays a crucial role in line haul trucking. By utilizing advanced routing algorithms and mapping technologies, businesses can identify the shortest and most optimal routes for their trucking operations.
- Load balancing: Improving fleet utilization to their optimal capacity minimizes their required quantity, reducing the cost of transportation.
- Mode selection: Choosing the most efficient and cost-effective mode of transportation—truck, rail or air—for each shipment depending on the shipment’s size, weight, destination and delivery requirements.
Given that line haul transportation is a critical segment of the supply chain, line haul optimization becomes a key strategy for businesses. Not only does it ensure improved efficiency and reduced costs in the transportation of goods, but also offers increased flexibility and better management of the supply chain.
The future of line haul transportation is exciting as the latest developments in technology are being used to turn around the way the transportation industry operates. Automated robots and drones can reduce the need for human labor and improve speed and efficiency. Artificial Intelligence is being used to generate algorithms to analyze vast amounts of data and provide insights to improve supply change management. Technology is revolutionizing the transportation industry making it ever more efficient, cost-effective, and customer-focused.
Optimize your line haul transportation network today and experience faster, more reliable deliveries. Contact us now to learn how.
Communicating the Value of Sustainable Last-Mile Logistics Initiatives: Navigating the ROI Ambiguity
May 3, 2023
Measuring the return on investment of sustainability in last mile delivery is difficult and sustainable initiatives can help businesses to address these challenges.Read more
May 9, 2023
US retail e-commerce is on a meteoric rise, thanks to the high levels of convenience that comes with the experience. Statista forecasts that its revenue will hit a whopping $1 trillion in 2023 and skyrocket to $1.5 trillion by 2027. That’s an enormous chunk of change, and it underscores the importance of optimizing logistics operations, […]Read more
What is Line Haul Transportation and How It is Driving Efficiency
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Stay up to date with the latest marketing, sales, and service tips and news